When Netflix announced Xo, Kitty, it was no surprise that it would skyrocket to the top of the charts right away. This is because it is a spin-off show of another Netflix Original hit, To All the Boys I've Loved Before.
In Xo, Kitty, we're getting to know more about Lara Jean's (played by Lana Condor) younger sister, Kitty (played by Anna Cathcart). And what better way to do that than by following her heart-- even if that leads her to her boyfriend in South Korea.
In the trailer, we learned that Kitty won a scholarship to the Korean Independent School of Seoul (KISS), where her long-distance boyfriend, Dae (played by Choi Min-young), attends as well. But is KISS a real school in Korea?
In this article, we'll answer whether this is a real school as well as where the cast and crew filmed the show.
Is Xo, Kitty’s KISS a Real School in Korea?
In the show, Kitty earns a scholarship to the Korean Independent School of School (KISS) where her boyfriend, Dae, also attends.
Unfortunately, KISS is not a real school in Korea. Netflix did an excellent job in making KISS look like a real school.
It's important to note, however, that there is an actual school in South Korea called KIS, which stands for Korean International School. KIS has international students enrolled in the school too.
But we can't confirm if the show creator, Jenny Han, got the idea for her fictionalized school from KIS.
Where Did They Film Scenes for KISS
Usually, TV shows and movies come up with a fictional school name and campus. They also avoid filming at a single location or building.
The same is true with Xo, Kitty. The cast and crew filmed in different locations to bring the fictional KISS campus to life.
For example, the cast and crew used the National Library of Korea as the fictional school's library. As for KISS's exterior shots, they used the Kaywon University of Art & Design situated in Uiwang.
During the school's welcome party in the first episode of Xo, Kitty, the cast and crew filmed at the Dongdaemun Design Plaza. Meanwhile, the end-of-year talent show from episode nine was shot at the Independence Hall of Korea in Cheonan.
Xo, Kitty Filming Locations
Aside from the school campus scenes, there were other places in South Korea where the cast and crew of Xo, Kitty filmed. Here is a list of these places:
- Incheon International Airport - Kitty's arrival in Seoul
- Korea International Exhibition Center (KINTEX) - Kitty's finale airport scenes
- Han Hotel - The scenes for the fictional Han Hotel were shot at the State Tower Namsan, Grand Hyatt Seoul, and the Pacific Hotel ballroom.
- Stylenanda - Yuri (played by Gia Kim) shops at Myeongdong
- Seojangdae - The monument where KISS students go on a hike to in episode 4
- Hanaro Mart - The fictional Seoul Central Market from the show was actually shot in the famous Korean grocery chain
- Rubik Club, Paradise City Resort - The nightclub which Min Ho (played by Sang Heon Lee) rents out for a party
- Yeongheung Island - The class camping field trip was shot at Yeongheung Island. They also shot the scenes for the Black Tree Camping campground in a Mykonos-themed hotel.
- Nodeul Island - The river walk scene between Mr. Alex Finnerty (played by Peter Thurnwald) and Principal Lim (played by Yunjin Kim) took place under the Han River Bridge.
Take a virtual tour of these locations via Xo, Kitty's trailer.
Xo, Kitty is now available to stream on Netflix.