Prince Harry shockingly left the royal family in January 2020 by stepping back from his royal roles together with his wife, Meghan Markle. Initially, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex cited their desire to become financially independent as one of the many reasons behind their infamous Megxit.
However, during their bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2021, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle divulged the “racism” going on within the royal family as the primary reason why they decided to ditch the royal life. Add to that the ceaseless attacks of the British media to the Duchess of Sussex.
Recently, it was reported that Prince Harry has launched a new legal battle. He reportedly started suing the Daily Mail’s publisher for libel. Keep on reading to know more details.
Prince Harry To Take Daily Mail Publisher To High Court?
Reports claimed that Prince Harry is already planning to file libel charges against the Daily Mail publisher. However, it remains unclear as to what title in the Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT) group, which includes Mail on Sunday, MailOnline, and Metro, would reportedly be taken to the high court.
Royal journalist Cameron Walker, in a tweet, said:
"Prince Harry has launched a High Court libel action against the publisher of the Daily Mail. It is not known which specific title or article the claim relates to."
Reuters reported that the complaint alleges libel over an article that claimed Prince Harry is keeping his recent legal dealings with the British government private. On February 20, The Mail on Sunday published an article claiming that the husband of Meghan Markle attempted to keep the details of his legal case a secret from the public by seeking a confidentiality order on related documents and statements.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Camilla Parker-Bowles Heartbreak: Prince Charles' Wife Responsible For Queen Elizabeth's COVID-19 Battle? Duchess Reportedly Represents Everything Meghan Markle Disliked About Royal Life
Most, if not all, royal followers are aware that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have relief on a private security team since they stepped down as senior royals in 2020. In January, it was revealed that the brother of Prince William was seeking a judicial review against a Home Office decision stopping him from personally paying for additional police protection whenever his family visits the U.K.
The legal representative of Prince Harry explained that the private security team of the Sussexes would not be sufficient protection and could not “replicate necessary police protection needed” while the family is in Britain.
Because of that, many suggested that the Duke of Sussex is likely to return to the U.K. this year, together with Meghan Markle, Archie, and Lilibet, to grace two of the biggest royal events – the memorial service for the late Prince Philip in April and the Platinum Jubilee celebrations of Queen Elizabeth in June.
The action of Prince Harry follows a successful civil lawsuit Meghan Markle brought against the publisher. To recall, the former Suits actress previously claimed that her privacy was breached over the publication of a letter to her father, Thomas Markle Sr.
Meghan Markle reportedly received a symbolic £1 in damages. The Mail on Sunday publisher also agreed to pay an undisclosed sum for a separate case of infringing the copyright of Prince Harry’s wife by publishing excerpts of the five-page letter shortly after their royal wedding.
Reports claimed Meghan Markle is donating the money to charity. In a statement after the ruling, the wife of Prince Harry said:
“This is a victory not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right.”
Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To Receive Nobel Peace Prize Next?
Meanwhile, avid supporters of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are suggesting that they should get Nobel Peace Prize next. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are set to receive President’s Award on Saturday, Feb. 26.
The Daily Mail editor Richard Eden retweeted NAACP Image Awards and stated:
“#PrinceHarry and #Meghan's cheerleaders are tweeting me - seriously - suggesting that, next, the couple will be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. #royal.”
Earlier, NAACP shared an adorable snap of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with a caption that read:
“The 53rd NAACP Image Awards will honor humanitarians, global leaders, and co-founders of Archewell, Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, with the prestigious President's Award. The President's Award is presented in recognition of distinguished public service.”
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle would be seen receiving the 2022 President’s Award during a live televised 53rd annual NAACP Image Awards ceremony. In a joint statement, the Sussex couple said:
“It’s a true honour to be recognized by President Derrick Johnson and the NAACP, whose efforts to propel racial justice and civil rights are as vital today as they were nearly 115 years ago. We’re proud to support the NAACP’s work.”
NAACP President Derrick Johnson also released a statement about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s upcoming award. He said:
“We’re thrilled to present this award to Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who together have heeded the call to social justice and have joined the struggle for equity both in the US and around the world. Not only do they continue to lead by example, the Duke and Duchess have also decided to inspire the next generation of activists through the NAACP-Archewell Digital Civil Rights Award, ensuring the support and recognition of generations of civil rights leaders to come.”
For starters, the NAACP-Archewell Digital Civil Rights Award is a newly created annual award that recognizes leaders creating transformational change at the intersection of social justice and technology to advance civil and human rights.
Stay tuned to EpicStream for the latest news and updates about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle!