One Piece has a wide variety of interesting characters, particularly its main cast, Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates. It’s no joke portraying them in a live-action adaptation, but the cast members of the One Piece live-action assure the viewers that they will work hard to bring the beloved characters to life!
With that said, take a closer look at the actors in the One Piece live-action on Netflix in this article!
RELATED: The Best Adventure Anime to Watch
Who Are the Actors in the One Piece Live-Action?
Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece, and Tomorrow Studios collaborated to choose the actors for the One Piece live-action series.
In a tweet posted on the One Piece live-action’s official Twitter account, Eiichiro Oda revealed that they decided on the cast after numerous discussions involving people around the world.
Here are the main actors in the One Piece live-action:
- Iñaki Godoy (Tavo in MexZombies) is Monkey D. Luffy, the captain of the Straw Hat Pirates, who ate the Gomu Gomu no Mi devil fruit, which made him into a rubber man. He aims to become the Pirate King, following in the footsteps of Gol D. Roger, and find the One Piece treasure!
- Mackenyu (Seiya in Knights of the Zodiac) is Roronoa Zoro, the pirate hunter who joined Luffy’s crew to fulfill the promise he made to Shimotsuki Kuina that he would become the strongest swordsman in the world.
- Emily Rudd (Clara in Hunters) is Nami, the Cat Burglar, who joined Luffy’s crew as a navigator. She dreams of mapping the entire world!
- Jacob Romero Gibson (Lord AK in Rap Sh!t) is Usopp, the chronic liar from Syrup Village who became the sniper of the Straw Hat Pirates. He aims to become a great warrior of the sea!
- Taz Skylar (Walt in The Lazarus Project) is Sanji, the official chef of the Straw Hat Pirates, who dreams of seeing All Blue!
Here are the other actors in the One Piece live-action:
- Morgan Davies (Danny in Evil Dead Rise) is Koby, the young boy Luffy saved from the Pirate Alvida. He dreams of becoming a respectable and proper Marine officer!
- Aidan Scott (James Matheny in Abraham Lincoln) is Helmeppo, the son of Axe-Hand Morgan, who had a change of heart after becoming friends with Koby.
- Celeste Loots (Adeline in Projek Dina) is Kaya, Usopp’s close friend, who enjoys listening to the chronic liar’s tales of adventure.
- Ilia Isorelys Paulino (Thelma in Me Time) is Alvida, the captain of the Alvida Pirates, who has eaten the Sube Sube no Mi devil fruit which smoothens her skin, to the extent that she can bounce any attack she receives!
- Peter Gadiot (James Valdez in Queen of the South) is Shanks, the captain of the Red-Haired Pirates, and the man who inspired Luffy to become a great pirate!
- Vincent Regan (Duke Hammond in Snow White and the Huntsman) is Garp, the legendary Vice Admiral of the Marine HQ, who is also Luffy’s grandfather.
- Steven Ward (Elton in Queen Sono) is Dracule Mihawk, who is one of the Seven Warlords of the Sea. He sent Don Krieg and his men back to East Blue after his attempt to go to the Grand Line.
- McKinley Belcher III (Anthony Carter in The Passage) is Arlong, the captain of the Arlong Pirates who holds Nami and her hometown hostage.
- Jeff Ward (Deke Shaw in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)is Buggy the Clown, the leader of the Buggy Pirates, who terrorizes Orange Town at the time when Luffy, Nami, and Zoro land on the island. He ate the Bara Bara no Mi devil fruit which allows him to split his body into pieces and control it as he sees fit.
- Craig Fairbrass (Eddie Franks in Villain) is Zeff, the founder of the sea restaurant Baratie, who is a former pirate-turned-master chef!
- Chioma Umeala (Tara in The Woman King) is Nojiko, Nami’s adoptive older sister.
- Alexander Maniatis (Daniel in Love, Lies, and Hybrids) is Klahadore, the captain of the Black Cat Pirates who goes by the name of Kuro. He is also in charge of Kaya’s needs while he is acting as her personal butler.
- Colton Osorio (Rodrigo in Cha Cha Real Smooth) is Young Luffy.
- Langley Kirkwood (Judge Lex in Dredd) is Axe-Hand Morgan, a corrupt and ruthless Marine captain who rules Shells Town.
- Michael Dorman (Tom Griffin in The Invisible Man) is Gol D. Roger, the legendary King of Pirates.
Who Is Luffy’s Live-Action Actor?
Iñaki Godoy is a Mexican actor who has been cast as Monkey D. Luffy. In addition to the One Piece live-action, Godoy is also known for playing Juan Ruiz in the 2022 Netflix series, The Imperfects.
He also played Tavo in MexZombies (2022), Amadeo El Gato in La Querida del Centauro (2016), and Bruno in Who Killed Sara? (2019), El Chinos in Sin miedo a la verdad (2019), as well as Fausto in No Abras La Puerta (2022).
Upon seeing Godoy’s audition, Eiichiro Oda immediately thought that he could be the perfect actor to portray Luffy. Not only was the creator amused, but he also laughed while watching Godoy’s audition.
Who Is Nami’s Live-Action Actor?
Emily Rudd is an American actress who has been chosen to portray Nami in the One Piece live-action.
She is an avid anime fan who is completely fascinated with the world of One Piece, making her the perfect actress for the navigator of the Straw Hat Pirates.
Aside from the One Piece live-action, Rudd is also known for the role of Cindy Berman in the Netflix horror film trilogy entitled Fear Street.
She was also a part of Dynasty (2020) as Heidi, Hunters (2023) as Clara, and Moonshot (2022) as Ginny.
Who Is Zoro’s Live-Action Actor?
Mackenyu, Roronoa Zoro’s Japanese-American actor, is no stranger to live-action anime adaptations.
In fact, Mackenyu has starred in the Chihayafuru trilogy as Wataya Arata, Fullmetal Alchemist: The Revenge of Scar as Scar, Rurouni Kenshin: Final Chapter Part 1: The Final as Enishi Yukishiro, Knights of the Zodiac as Seiya, and Tokyo Ghoul: S as Souta.
Aside from this, Mackenyu also worked on Ichikei no Karasu as Bunta Ishikura, Brave: Gunjyo Senki as Aoi Nishino, Remote de Korosareru as Yusaku Nomura, and Our 30 Minute Sessions as Aki Miyata.
According to Mackenyu, he is similar to Zoro in the sense that he has had a lot of experience wielding multiple swords in his previous roles.
But Mackenyu has to take specific training when it comes to Zoro due to his three-sword style, which involves the use of his jaw.
Who Is Sanji’s Live-Action Actor?
Taz Skylar is Sanji’s live-action actor, who shared in an interview with Nuit Magazine his preparation for playing the character.
As it turns out, Skylar has been doing some taekwondo (of course) and chef training to be in character! He also relates to Sanji in the sense that they both had to fend for themselves at a very young age.
In the past, Skylar has worked on the 2022 TV series The Lazarus Project as Walt, Villain (2020) as Jason, Boiling Point (2021) as Billy, and The Reserves (2018–2019) as Caps!
Who Is Usopp’s Live-Action Actor?
Jacob Romero Gibson is Usopp, and interestingly, they resemble each other despite the absence of Usopp’s iconic long nose.
He had to practice his marksmanship and his slingshot shooting abilities to prepare for Usopp’s role!
Some of his notable roles include AJ Delajae in Greenleaf (2019–2020), Gabriel in Snake Eyes (2019), Atiba Jackson in The Resident (2018), and Josh in Grey’s Anatomy (2019).
Want the latest on all things anime? Make sure you follow us on Twitter!
READ NEXT: How Will One Piece End?