Prince Harry is suing a British publication for reportedly causing serious damage to his reputation and hostility from all the negative comments that he has been receiving.
Prince Harry Files Another Legal Dispute Against Daily Mail
Last month, Prince Harry filed a lawsuit against Daily Mail’s publisher for reportedly publishing a defamatory report about his desire to fight for security protection in the United Kingdom.
The article in question claimed that the Duke of Sussex went through great lengths to hide the litigation against the British Home Office after they refused his request to pay for his own security detail. Additionally, the publication also accused Meghan Markle’s husband of lying about offering to pay for his security protection when he traveled to the United Kingdom for the unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue.
Daily Mail was also the first to report about Prince Harry’s pleas to protect his family while visiting the United Kingdom. But the publication came up with a misleading headline that alleges that the Duke of Sussex is suing Britain over the loss of his bodyguards.
But in his statement to Harper’s Bazaar, Prince Harry stressed that he initially offered to pay for his and his family’s security protection in January 2020. However, his offer was denied.
Prince Harry’s Lawyers Release Their Official Statement
Now, the Duke of Sussex’s lawyers have spoken up and said that Daily Mail’s story resulted in adverse and hostile comments from their readers that are exceptionally serious and damaging. They also said that the baseless claims constituted an attack on Prince Harry’s honesty and integrity.
“[Prince Harry] suffered serious damage to his reputation and substantial hurt, embarrassment, and distress which is continuing. [He] has been upset (but sadly unsurprised) by the defendant’s distortion and misrepresentation of the facts in breach of the most basic journalistic standards and ethics,” the Duke of Sussex’s lawyers said in a statement.
They also denied the allegations that Prince Harry tried to manipulate and confuse public opinion by coming up with false and misleading statements about his willingness to pay for his security protection.
According to Express, readers of the Daily Mail article also had the chance to weigh in on the matter because there was a “share what you think” option at the end. And Prince Harry’s lawyers found that the over 6,000 comments were mostly adverse and hostile.
“It must have been plain to the [Mail on Sunday] that by giving these serious allegations such huge publicity in the terms and manner that it did, leading to inevitable repetition and the feeding frenzy of hostile comments, it could not but cause [Prince Harry’s] reputation substantial damage and cause considerable distress and hurt to the [Duke’s] feelings, as has been the case,” the legal filing reads.
Publication In Question Fires Back At Prince Harry
Daily Mail fired back by saying that Prince Harry is just attacking anyone in the media that publishes something negative about him.
This is not Prince Harry’s first legal fight against Daily Mail. In January 2021, he reached a settlement with the publication after they released inaccurate stories about his relationship with the armed forces.
Meghan Markle Wins Lawsuit Against Daily Mail
Earlier this year, Prince Harry’s wife also won substantial damages after the publication shared photos of her handwritten letters to Thomas Markle Sr.
According to The Washington Post, Markle received $1.35 for privacy invasion. But both parties also agreed over a confidential sum that the publisher of Daily Mail would give to the Duchess of Sussex for copyright infringement. A spokesperson for Markle said that the entire sum would be donated to charity.
The publication was also asked to pay for Markle’s legal fees, which were estimated at around $2 million.
Check back for more stories and updates about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle here at EpicStream!